Monday, June 15, 2009

week 1...

Well, we made it through the first week of Shane's diet, and boy was it SUPER DIFFICULT!

This first week we only removed dairy, and it sounds like it's pretty easy but its not!!! and they say thats the easiest part so I hope i can continue!!

I cleaned out the pantry and looked at every label. I swear almost 99% of what we had has gluten and/or casein in it. I have been giving Shane almond and rice milk and luckily he's been drinking it fine. Its the food that I am having problems with. For instance Shane LOVES mac and cheese and now i can't give it to him. The great thing about the mac and cheese too was that I was able to hide some veggies in there for him. I also was gonna make him some spaghetti but when I looked at the ragu label, it said there was milk in it! I ended up making sauce from scratch but he didn't like it as much! He can't have most of his favorite snacks either, because most of it is chocolate which can have milk in it.

On Saturday we went to a birthday party and I made Shane a special cake to eat while everybody else had birthday cake and ice cream. I felt so bad, but he ended up liking the cake!
Once we start removing gluten though that is going to be sooo hard. I won't be able to give him chicken nuggets (because of the breading) , sandwiches (unless I use special bread) , saimin or chicken noodle soup. All his favorite stuff...Poor guy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can do it!
i will help you with food ideas, and things to get gluten free!!
IT worth it if it helps!
Love your blog bytheway!

Regina said...

Jennah, I developed food allergies (gluten, soy, dairy AND eggs) after Elizabeth was born. Dairy is by far the hardest but I have accumulated some great substitutes & recipes the last few years and would be happy to share them with you. Send me an email to daisyforaday@yahoo.com and I'll reply with some recipes & resources. It may take me a few days but be encouraged that once you get used to cooking differently it will get easier (but never easy) and I know for me I feel SO much better. Shane is lucky to have you for his mama! Take care, Regina